Thursday, October 9, 2008

Poetry Prompts


After searching around for poetry prompts I came across more than the amount needed. I really couldn't choose just three, so I picked six. I think these prompts are useful, especially if your having brain freeze and you just can't figure out what to write about.

Personally, I have never used prompts or found the need to. Music usually prompts me to write poetry. I put my headphones on, take out my paper and pen, and whatever comes to mind as I listen to the melodies is what I write about. Music never fails to be my prompt but if at any time it does, and I'm finding it impossible to write, then I know what to do--find poetry prompts.

Here are the six that were most interesting to me:


  • Write a series of questions and answers to compose a poem.

  • Write a poem that describes a walk through a house from the perspective of a child

  • Write a poem that starts with a one word title, two words in the first line, three in the next, and continues by adding one word per line. (Variation: use as a prose exercise.)

  • Write a poem using the following start: "What good is a day..."

  • Write a poem with a seasonal theme.

  • Write a poem about a very small object.

No comments: